Content Options

Content Options

SUP 13A.7 Top-up permission

SUP 13A.7.1GRP

If a person established in the EEA:

  1. (1)

    does not have an EEA right;

  2. (2)

    does not have permission as a UCITS qualifier; and

  3. (3)

    does not have, or does not wish to exercise, a Treaty right (see SUP 13A.3.4 G to SUP 13A.3.11 G);

to carry on a particular regulated activity in the United Kingdom, it must seek Part 4A permission from the appropriate UK regulator3 to do so (see the appropriate UK regulator's website: for the FCA and for the PRA31). This might arise if the activity itself is outside the scope of the Single Market Directives, or where the activity is included in the scope of a Single Market Directive but is not covered by the EEA firm's Home State authorisation. If a person also qualifies for authorisation under Schedules 3, 4 or 5 to3 the Act as a result of its other activities, the Part 4A permission3 is referred to in the Handbook as a top-up permission.

SUP 13A.7.2GRP

Where theappropriate UK regulator3 grants a top-up permission to an incoming EEA firm to carry on regulated activities for which it has neither an EEA right nor a Treaty right, the appropriate UK regulator3 is responsible for the prudential supervision of the incoming EEA firm, to the extent that the responsibility is not reserved to the incoming EEA firm's Home State regulator.

SUP 13A.7.3G


SUP 13A.7.4GRP

For guidance on how to apply for Part 4A permission3 under the Act, see the appropriate UK regulator's website: for the FCA and for the PRA.31 If an EEA firm or Treaty firm wishes to make any subsequent changes to its top-up permission, it can make an application for variation of that permission (see SUP 6 (Applications to vary and cancel Part 4A permission)).3