87(in BCOBS, CONC 5.2A and CONC 5.5A172) an obligation on the part of a consumer to make a payment:
- (a) where the remedies for a breach of that obligation potentially include seeking possession of, or seeking to exercise a power of sale in respect of:
- (i) the sole or main residence of the consumer (for example, an obligation to pay secured by a mortgage or charge in respect of land, an obligation to pay rent under a tenancy, or an obligation to make payment under a licence to occupy land); or
- (ii) the consumer's essential goods or services (for example, an obligation to pay under a hire purchase, conditional sale or hire agreement that relates to, or an obligation to pay secured by a charge on, the consumer's cooker, refrigerator, or the means to travel to work); or
- (b) where that obligation arises out of an order of the court, an Act or secondary legislation (for example, an obligation to pay council tax, child support maintenance, income tax or court fines); or
- (c) where that obligation arises under a contract for the provision of utility supplies (for example, water, gas or electricity).