- (1) (in relation to the
power to make general rules (section 138 of the Act (General rule-making power))) the approval requirements for controllers (section 186 of the Act (Objection to acquisition of control)), the publication of notices (section 391 of the Act (Publication)) and the exercise of Treaty rights (Schedule 4 to the Act (Treaty rights))) (as defined in section 138(7) of the Act (General rule-making power)) a person:
- (a) who uses, has used, or is or may be contemplating using, any of the services provided by:
- (b) who has rights or interests which are derived from, or are otherwise attributable to the use of, any such services by another person; or
- (c) who has rights or interests which may be adversely affected by the use of any such services by a person acting on his behalf or in a fiduciary capacity in relation to him; or
- (d) (in relation to the FSA's power to make general rules) a person within the extended definition of consumer in article 3 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) (Miscellaneous) Order 2001 (SI 2001/1821) (Application of definition of "consumer" to users of regulated services before commencement);
- (e) (in relation to the FSA's power to make general rules) a person within the extended definition of consumer in article 4 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) (Credit Unions) Order 2002 (SI 2002/1501) (Application of definition of "consumer" to customers of credit unions before commencement);
- (A) if an authorised person is carrying on a regulated activity in his capacity as a trustee, the persons who are, have been or may be beneficiaries of the trust are to be treated as persons who use, have used or are or may be contemplating using services provided by the authorised person in his carrying on of that activity;
- (B) a person who deals with an authorised person in the course of the authorised person's carrying on of a regulated activity is to be treated as using services provided by the authorised person in carrying on those activities.
- (2) (in relation to the protection of consumers objective (section 5 of the Act (The protection of consumers)) and independent inquiries (section 14 of the Act (Cases in which the Treasury may arrange independent inquiries))) (as defined in sections 5(3) and 14(5) of the Act) a person:
- (a) within (1);or
- (3) (in relation to the establishment and maintenance of the Consumer Panel (section 10 of the Act (The Consumer Panel))) (as defined in section 10(7) of the Act) a person within (2)other than an authorised person.
- (4) (in ECO andENF 19) an individual who is acting for purposes other than those of his trade, business or profession.
for the purposes of this definition: